lundi 13 décembre 2021

Modecenter

 

Modecenter is a quartet hailing from Vienna, Austria, which has been around since 2018/2019 and features members of Goldsoundz, Master Gottlieb and 23 Söhn.
 
Most of the time I try to go through the whole band discography in my reviews but for Modecenter, as there was only one tape (Mode für jung und alt, Fashion for the young and old, recorded in 2019) released prior to their first full length and as I'm not convinced by its quality compared to the LP, I will focus on the LP only.
 
 

 To be honest I only discovered Modecenter very recently (thanks to the always great Perte & Fracas, cheers mate!), indeed their LP got out in July on Numavi Records, one of the most active label from Vienna which has also released a few albums from Melt Downer, another great noise-rock band from the capital of Austria). But better late than never I guess so here is the occasion to catch up on this great record.



First I have to say that I was really impressed by this record, it's a proper full length, a dense record including ten well-written songs which take from various influences and, despite a couple of unnecessary tracks, it's absolutely killer.
Modecenter ventures into a few different genres, into the Fugazi era of post-hardcore with Chain Boys (that can't not recall the vocals of Guy Picciotto's band) and into the "indie side" of modern post-punk with Hot Body, but where the quartet is definitely at its best, where all the energy and the "genius" of the band can really burst out in the open, it's clearly in those good old bass-driven noise-rock tracks reminiscent of classics like Big Black. The heavy and obsessive bass lines support an extremely tense song structure which gives all the necessary room to vocals to exude anger and frustration. I'm talking about songs like Deceit, I Am Straight or the heavy, but airy, OK Computer but most of all I'm talking about Stylo, the masterpiece of the album... Lead by a "perfect"  obsessive noise-rock bassline, the hallucinated vocals scream all the insanity, all the fear of being completely lost in an environment dragged into an uncontrolled run forward a not so distant wall, whereas some stressful synth layers keep the situation as tense as it could possibly get... I love that kind of song! Grease is built the same way but the vocals got a more desperate tone that takes us closer to Chain Boys, the track being mostly instrumental anyway it doesn't change the "vibe" much.
 
 
  So everything could be just perfect right ? Unfortunately I have to put a small downside, a few tracks tend to break the energy of the record and it's a real shame, I think of the never-ending 187 (a "very" instrumental track of 6 minutes and a half) which starts very well and then gets lost in something a bit boring after two minutes (ok it ends the side A of the vinyl version but it's right in the middle of the digital album!) or of Mode B, a totally unnecessary "surfish" instrumental track and most of all of Mind Eraser, the final track, an awful radio rock (dream pop?) ballad which ruins an ending that could have been brilliant with the super good I Am Straight.
  
  But I don't want to end on a negative note, so don't get me wrong, Modecenter's album contains some of the best noise-rock songs I've heard this year, tracks that totally kick ass and for that alone, you have to give it a go!
 Personally, I ordered the vinyl for Christmas!

N,J'Oi!
 
 
 
 
  N,J'Oi!

 
 
 
 
 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire