jeudi 9 janvier 2020

Pinocchio


Pinocchio is a female-fronted punk band from NYC which released their one and only record in April last year. There was quite a fuss when the record got out and I was not so sure about writing about it here as I usually try to stay away from the hype 
(or just that I was too lazy).
As I have seen the record in some Best Of 2019 and as it is actually an OK/nice album, here is a little post about Pinocchio.


Anyway the big thing about this band is that the singer is Mary Jane Dunphe, who has been involved in the music scene around Olympia for some time now before moving to New York (well that's what I understood as Pinocchio is based in NYC).
The 77 arty punk scene with Vexx but also the pop scene with CC Dust, CCFX or The County Liners.


Out on Toxic State Records, Pinocchio's EP proves (once again) in 8 short songs that Mary Jane is a good singer. The music is some kind of late 70s arty punkish rock on which the vocals keep going up and up with many ooohh aaaah, a bit like if Kate Bush was covering for Gaye Advert because she got the flu (yeah it's the flu season guys).


It's fresh, it's quite nice, the recording is great but it's really a looot of singing and I am not sure I am too much into that (yeah yeah I know I am an old prick).
But let's see what Mary Jane and the little wooden boy got for us in 2020...



You can listen to Pinocchio and other puppet shows in Rien à Faire #2.

N,J'Oi!

Rien à Faire is on FB

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire