dimanche 24 mai 2020

C.H.E.W : new 7"

picture by Rebecca O'Sullivan

 If you're a little bit into punk hardcore you have probably heard of C.H.E.W from Chicago, Illinois, which has been dropping rage and violence wrapped in relentless and chaotic  noise on our poor eardrums and faces since 2015. So I am not going to go into details about their discography and let you dig it if you're curious... 
The band features (ex-)members of Knife Hits and of Hauzarest from Orlando, Florida. 
 
 picture by Tim Birkbeck

Ok so to be honest I have never totally been convinced by the vocals in this band, I discovered C.H.E.W with the 2017 split with Penetrode (from Philadelphia) which impressed me a lot more than the Chicago side... I don't know, it's something in the vocals, it's too "high pitched" for me I suppose (too screamo), anyway when I listen to it again now I kinda dig it, my tastes have evolved a bit I guess...


So I didn't follow super closely what they did after that. They released their full length called Feeding Frenzy in 2018 and there was quite an enthusiastic hype around it but I didn't dig it so much. It's not bad (it's even pretty good when I think about it now) but still this thing with the vocals you know...I was not yet used to this kind of super harsh female-fronted punk hardcore at the time.



But the band is not done writing super intense raw tunes and released a new 7" one month ago called In Due Time on Irong Lung Records.
Well from the first seconds of Knucklehead it's clear that C.H.E.W has not lost anything of the intense rage of their previous releases... It's still super fast and pissed off and the vocals is rawer than ever, the comparison with Axe Rash (after the split 7" with Rash from Chicago why not a split 7" with Axe Rash from Stockholm ?) or Khiis has never been more accurate.



These guys know how to play neat, clean and fast... it's a very high quality hardcore punk 7"... but i'm still not super fond of the "screamo" vocals... tastes and colors you know...


You can listen to C.H.E.W on Rien à Faire #10

N,J'Oi! 



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire