samedi 4 septembre 2021

Exil

 

picture by Kristofer


Exil showed up unannounced a few weeks ago, no discreet ringing or polite knocking on the front-door no... Exil showed up with a big shoulder kick, smashing the wood and dismantling the frame, a good lesson for my carpenter and my locksmith... god have mercy on my wallet...
These guys have played in half of the best hardcore punk bands which have come from Sweden over the last two decades (ok not really but you know what I mean) and I don't think anyone who's really into that kind of music would stay still when names like DS13, The Vicious, Tristess, AC4, Bruce Banner or Epileptic Terror Attack (to name only a few) are whispered to his tired ears... As for me, I'll start to get severely agitated, my different members taking convulsive shakes and more or less annoying spasms in random directions... There is only to add that the singer is none other than Torbjörn who also screams in Leper and used to scream in Fukushima and in one of my favourite swedish band, the almighty U.X Vileheads, for me to become completely uncontrollable...
Well, here is the little appetizer I offer before announcing that these guys started straight with an LP as a first release, the well-named Warning released on Armageddon Label last July 23rd. 
 
  
 
The cover artwork was made by Joe B who is far from signing his first punk album cover art, you may have seen his work on releases by bands like Subversive Rite, Extended Hell, Fairytale and many more but also on flyers etc... Apart from the "nightmarish" aspect of his drawing style, it makes me think of some 80s creepy sci-fi comics I read a long time ago. Anyway I'm not a big fan of the colours choice and of the "complexity" of the scenes he depicts but let's be honest, it's still a pretty cool cover.
 
I was immediately hooked up by Warning's first and eponymous track, how to not be convinced by the amount of energy delivered in this great straight forward USHC song recalling the best releases of swedish hardcore punk? It's fast, it's bursting right in your face, Exil delivers exactly what you expect and it's hard to hide a huge smile while you're rolling on the floor under a rain of hardcore punk kicks.
I've listened to this album many times since its release, as I wrote above I was really hooked up at first, but then, for some reasons, I tended to feel a bit disappointed. To me the Swedish hardcore punk scene is, without any doubt, one of the best of the 21st century and, on top of all names dropped at the beginning of this post, bands like Regulations, Damaged Head, Agent Attitude, Brudte Lofter (from Denmark ok I know) and even Refused are undeniable heroes of my personal punk pantheon and I really expect the best song writing, the best hooks etc... well the best of everything when it comes to swedish bands to be honest (yes I'm picky).
 
So in the end I can't say I was not convinced by what Exil delivers, it's a super powerful hardcore punk album, but to me it misses a few breaks, a few details here and there... a few riffs are a bit "too much", the drums sound a bit too much in the front, a couple of songs' sound a bit too cheesy... well you know what I mean, it lacks the last layer of deluxe varnish which propels an album from very good to exceptional... (what a snob old bastard I am ahah!).
 Can't wait to see them on stage though!
 
If you wanna know more about how alcohol and dvds can lead to hardcore punk and read some fairly interesting opinions about Swedish politics you should check out Exil interview on Cult Nation (for Razorblades And Aspirin)
 

N,J'Oi!






You can listen to Exil on RAF#25.
 
 
 
 
 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire